Frequently Asked Questions [fr]

Q1: To which countries does my Schengen visa allow me to travel?

A Schengen visa allows entry and free circulation to all countries of the Schengen area, which includes the following: Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Spain, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, the Czech Republic.

Important: Visa applications may only be lodged through the French Embassy if the main destination of the intended trip is France. A professional/business trip outweighs tourism. If the applicant is travelling solely for the purpose of tourism, it is the number of days that will be considered. In case of equal days between 2 or more Schengen countries, it is the country of the first point of entry that will be competent to receive the visa application.

Q2: I am a Filipino citizen currently on vacation in the Philippines, can I lodge my visa application through the French Embassy in Manila?

The Embassy of France in Manila is only competent to process visa applications of persons residing habitually in the Philippines, the Federal States of Micronesia, the Marshall Islands and the Republic of Palau.

If you have been residing for the majority of the year outside the Philippines, you must lodge your visa application via the Embassy/Consulate of the place of your habitual residence.

Q3 : How long is the processing time for visa applications?

Once your application has been transmitted by VFS Global to the Embassy, the processing periods will vary according to the visa category:

- Schengen/Short Stay: 5 working days for complete files, unless further verification is required
- Long stay/D: 15 working days (except family reunification/OFII visas)

You have the possibility to lodge your visa applications within 90 days from your date of departure

Q4 : What is an Airport Transit Visa (ATV)?

- A visa that allows the holder to pass through the International Transit Zone of airports situated in France (i.e. within CDG)
- It does not allow entry into the Schengen Area

When is an ATV needed?

- If the traveler will be transiting through a French airport to travel to a non-Schengen state, and will not leave the international transit area of the airport, he/she will need an Airport Transit Visa.
Ex : Manila, Philippines – Paris (CDG), France – Casablanca, Morocco

- However, if the traveler is transiting through a French airport to a Schengen member state (which is now considered as a domestic transfer), he/she will need to apply for a Short stay/Schengen, and not an ATV.
Ex: Manila, Philippines – Paris (CDG), France – Madrid, Spain

What are the requirements for an ATV?

- Signed Schengen visa application form with photo (35mm x 45mm, white background).
- Valid passport (3 months’ validity from the end of intended stay) and photocopy of personal Bio page and valid and former visas.
- Detailed itinerary. Round trip airline tickets with confirmed reservations at the time of issuance of the visa.
- Valid visa for the final destination, or if not applicable, any other documentation that justifies the applicant’s continuing trip.

How can one be exempted from securing an ATV?

- Holders of a valid visa issued by any European member states, Switzerland, the United States or Canada do not need an airport transit visa to transit to a French designated airport.
- Holders of a valid residence permit issued by any European member states, Switzerland, the United States, Canada, Japan, Andorra, Monaco or Saint Martin do not need an airport transit visa to transit a French designated airport.

What is the maximum ATV validity?

- Multiple entry for 6 months from the first date of transit/entry

Q5 : Household staff/Personal assistants travelling to France

More information soon.

Q6 : My « titre de séjour » has expired

The Embassy of France in Manila is not competent to renew expired “titres de séjour”. Only the Prefecture of your residence in France can renew your card. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you wait for the issuance of your new “titre de séjour” before travelling outside of France.

Q7 : I have lost/had my valid “titre de séjour” stolen while in the Philippines

You have to take visa appointment through VFS Global by calling +63 2 790 4903.

***Notice Visa de rétour***

For this visa application, the Visa Section will need to contact and seek the approval of the Prefecture in issuing your return visa. This procedure will take several weeks.

Q8 : How can I bring my family to live with me in France?

This procedure is exclusive for spouses and children below the age of 18 (beneficiaries) of persons residing legally (applicant/sponsor) à in France.

The application must be lodged by the foreign national residing in France at the Prefecture of the place of residence. Administrative inquiry by the Prefecture and the French Embassy shall be conducted – this procedure, in general, takes several months.

The French Embassy shall summon the beneficiaries, on the basis of the contact information that the applicant/sponsor in France communicated to the Prefecture. It is therefore of utmost importance that the applicant/sponsor in France communicates the correct contact information of the beneficiary: landline number with area code, mobile number, e-mail address, and the complete postal address in the Philippines

After the visa application has been lodged through the Embassy’s external service provider, VFS, there will be no need to follow up. The potential beneficiary shall be contacted/summoned anew by the Embassy as soon as the decision of the Prefecture has been confirmed.

Q9 : Visa refusals and Appeals

1. Refusals of visa applications

Justification under French law

The Embassy does not communicate the reasons for refusals on long stay visa applications, except for the following categories enumerated in the “Code de l’entrée et du séjour des étrangers et du droit d’asile (CESEDA) » :

Justification under European law

On the other hand, since 5 April 2011, the reason/s for the refusal of short stay/Schengen visas is/are communicated to the applicant, on the basis of a form provided by the Community Code on Visas. Procedures for appeal shall be specified on each refusal letter given to visa applicants.

2. Appeal procedure

A formal appeal may be lodged through the « Commission de recours contre les décisions de refus de visa (CRRV) »

Address : Secrétariat général de la CRRV BP 83.609 - 44036 NANTES CEDEX FRANCE

To allow the CRRV to properly identify your file, the following information must be present:

- Your personal identity as stated in your passport (last name, first name, date of birth)
- The name of the Embassy that refused your application
- Receipt number or “numéro de quittance” and the date, proving that a visa application has been previously lodged

Applicants who have been refused may, at any time and without prejudice, lodge a new visa application.

Dernière modification : 04/09/2018

top of the page